Tuesday, May 27, 2014

This adventure is less than a month away..


It's hard to believe.

In less than a month I will be boarding a plane with seven other students from Wilfrid Laurier University to live and intern in the West African country of Ghana. We will be living on the campus of the University of Ghana in the International Student Hostel, while interning at various Human Right's organizations within the region.

I will be interning at the Human Rights Advocacy Centre (HRAC) in Accra, and I honestly don't know what to expect. I am not certain of what my role will be, but despite that unknown I am looking forward to learning all that I can while at the HRAC. It's going to be a life-changing experience, and I hope to be able to give you a glimpse of what I am experiencing by writing on this blog, while also perhaps helping myself process everything.

I won't be posting here every day as I hope to be experiencing my time in Ghana to the fullest, but I'll do my best to give you folks back home an indication of how I am doing and what living in Ghana is like as often as I am able.

Although I will have a cellphone while in Ghana, it's purpose will only be for local use. The best, and indeed really the only way, to contact me while I am in Ghana will be via the Internet, especially Facebook and this blog! However, if I can swing Skype in at all I will let you know!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous - this experience is going to force me out of my comfort zone in so many ways, but I suppose the most worthwhile experiences will be the ones that require you to 'do it afraid' and enable you to grow into a stronger person as a result. That is my hope for this experience!

So I am nervous, but I'm also really excited - who knows what this experience in Ghana will lead to while I am there, and also in the future!

Please keep me and my fellow students in your prayers and keep an eye out for future posts here! :)

Peace & love,
Brianna

“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” ― Robert Louis Stephenson 

2 comments: